I Am Canadian...

Posted by Derek J.Sowa | Posted in | Posted on 1:40 AM


"When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us".  ~ Alexander Graham Bell
For those of us that are, or consider ourselves truly Canadian, I'm sure it's a question we ponder time and time again at some point in our lives. Just what are these values we have held so dear for so many years and why is it we now find them to be eroding away?
At the young age of 47, and as a recently separated father of two, I have much to be 'pissed' about! The feeling of having lost my place in this great country of ours has been years in the making. However, in this day and age I feel as if I am not alone. What brings us to this point is not always clear, yet I sense that more and more Canadian’s like myself are finding much to be 'pissed' about. One only has to pick up the local newspaper, watch or listen to the local TV and radio stations to know what it feels like to be 'pissed'. A great many of us feel it at election time, showing it by refusing to vote. (Not good if we want or expect change!) A lot of us feel it on the job as much of our pay is quickly swallowed up in taxes or worse yet, we are replaced by lower wage earners as companies try to compete and survive n a global market. We feel it at the pumps... at the grocers... in the malls and in the schools. No matter where we may look we can always find something to be 'pissed' about.

What's got me so 'pissed'? Well, currently there are a number of reasons, but first and foremost is something that started a few years back. What took me years in the making was more or less stolen from me if for nothing more than greed. A couple of years back I had worked hard in my free time to develop an informational website pertaining to Canada. After taking a few years to develop and complete this site fully, this non-profit site was to give people a better understanding of Canada. Filled with historical information on the land and its people, it was my intention to share this site with those who may never have the chance to experience the kind of life we as Canadians take for granted. It was also to be a starting point for those new to Canada, visiting or otherwise, to find the information needed to make the best of their time here. The site itself contained some 450 pages of Canadian content, with well over 5000+ external links to other great Canadian content.

Originally hosted in the US, it was my intention to move the site to a local hosting company within Canada. I searched for a new domain name, Trulycanadian.ca, and found that it was available. I then contacted a few local web hosting service providers inquiring about their webhosting packages and the cost associated with such plans. Having had a conversation with someone from Webnames.ca located in British Columbia to which I voluntarily gave statistical information about the site, I hoped that I had now found a new home for my website. Awaiting feedback from a few other providers I had contacted, I told the gentleman at Webnames.ca that I would contact him within a few days with regards to the hosting package and the registration of my intended domain. Two days later when I had went to register the Trulycanadian.ca domain; I found that it had been purchased by Webnames.ca, intent on resale. Yeah… I was ‘pissed’ to say the least! I quickly researched on the CIRA website on how to dispute domain names in question, and found that it could become quite costly, leaving me little choice but to wait and hope that Webnames.ca may relinquish their hold on my intended domain. Well, it’s been a number of years since, and the domain Trulycanadian.ca is still undeveloped awaiting resale.

So ‘pissed’ is a way of saying it mildly… My intentions for this new site are not quite clear just as yet; however it will give me the opportunity to once again continue my work. My old website, “Yzowl’s Truly Canadian Links and Information” will find a home while I continue work to refine and develop it further. With regards to the ‘Truly Pissed Canadian’ website, my hopes are to be able to share here what really “pisses” us off! As the blog develops further, I hope to be able to bring you live comments and stories from other Canadians and speak more with you about what makes Canadians ‘pissed’! Perhaps one voice can make a difference…

Comments (0)